Today marks my 23rd year living on Planet Earth.
There’s a lot in life that can’t be for certain and many things I may never wrap my head around. Still, I hang on to the truths that have anchored me throughout my short time here on this side of eternity.
In honor of my 23rd year, I compiled a list of things I’ve learned and things I want to never forgot.
- There is only one you. You can choose to live out the best you possible or you can dwell on all the things that are not you.
- There was a time in your life where the only thing that kept you going was the prayers of others. Remember that.
- No one can be everything for you. You were born with a God-sized hole that can only be filled by a God-sized being and no one person can fulfill every single one of your needs. Don’t put that kind of pressure on anyone.
- Education and all it offers is a real gift that enriches you and strengthens your talents and capabilities. It should not be kept in the box of academia and it should not be run by the need for perfect grades.
- “Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name.” -The Avett Brothers
- Kindness is more important than being right.
- “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.” 1 John 4:12
- Let go of the things that separate you from God and from your true self. Don’t make idols out of things that fade.
- Think of the kinds of people you like to be around and the kind of mindset you value. Live that way.
- You may be a loner, but humans are amazing. Let people into your life and hold on to those that make you better.
- Talking about others negatively will always make you feel bad and soon after you do it you will want to take it back.
- If someone you love does something that bothers you or makes you feel neglected, just talk to them. Get it out there.
- Laughter is truly the best medicine.
- If you want to feel better, sleep better.
- Personal happiness is not the most important thing. Sometimes a choice that makes you unhappy at the time is the best choice in the end. No matter what the world tells you, the well-being of others is always important to consider.
- Your physical body will eventually die. Why spend your life focused on it being “just right” when you can be focused on nourishing your soul?
- Breakfast time is a revered time. Drink your coffee slowly and welcome the day with a peaceful morning.
- Family is truly the greatest gift in your life. Love them, treasure them, and make time for them.
- If you have thoughts that are too heavy to bear alone, but you don’t want to burden anyone with them, go to therapy. Never underestimate objectivity.
- Just take a walk. By yourself or with a friend.
- When worry takes you over and you feel like things may come crashing down, remember that life is brief and unpredictable. Live in the present and have faith that God is sovereign.
Tell me, what is something that you “know to be true”? Or something you’ve learned during life that has given you clarity?