We love zucchini in our house. I buy it every time I go grocery shopping. Zoodles are our go-to, but I was wanting to switch things up tonight. Now that I am on the low-FODMAP diet (read here for details), I am having to be a little more creative with meals. I thought about making this recipe, but it called for garlic & bread crumbs- two things I cannot currently have. We also only had zucchini and not yellow squash on hand, so instead I gleaned inspiration from that recipe and threw together a recipe of my own that used only approved foods.
We loved it so much I want to share it with you! (Full recipe at the bottom of page)
First, chop up all the zucchini into 1/4 inch slices, like so:
Shred your cheese. You could use pre-shredded cheese, but from the block is so much better! Extra sharp cheddar is highly recommended, because you can use less cheese and still have a really strong cheddar flavor.
Make a layer of zucchini slices on the bottom of the dish. Add salt & pepper. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
Mix the remainder of the zucchini with the tomatoes. If you like your stewed tomatoes sweet, you can add a pinch of stevia or sugar. Spread mixture on the first layer. Top with the rest of the cheese and sprinkle with basil and more salt/pepper.
Lastly, evenly spread corn flake crumbs over the top.
Pop in the oven….
It should look beautifully crispy! We enjoyed this with some shredded chicken and roasted potatoes on the side.
Oven-baked Cheddar Zucchini
Serves 2 as main dish, 4 as side
2 medium-sized zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
~1/2 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese (more if you like!), shredded
1/3 cup stewed tomatoes, canned
1 cup cornflakes, crushed after measuring
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 tsp dried basil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 8 x 8 dish with non-stick spray.
2. Layer approximately half of the zucchini slices on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and half of the shredded cheese.
3. Mix the remainder of the zucchini slices with the stewed tomatoes. Spread over the first layer.
4. Top with remaining cheese, basil, and corn flakes.
5. Bake in oven 35-40 minutes.
6. Place on broil for 1-2 minutes.
7. Pull out of the oven and let set for a few minutes. Enjoy!